New York Times

One evening I was in bed, somewhere retired up in the mountains, still getting an access to internet through my phone, and checking my emails.
And I jumped out of bed at reading an email from the New York Times, asking me if I was free for a commission…
I re-read the email couple of times, so that it sinked in, went up to my brain, looked at it bewildered, wondering how on earth they heard of me, and had this broad nearly painful smile across my face.
This had to be done in 24 hours. Of course.
Draft for morning, final piece by afternoon.
Needless to say I wrote back immediately by the positive.
And tried to go to sleep.
The commission was a spot illustration, for the readers review, about how opera was struggling to find an audience. A title that caught me was, "Hollywood Villains Are Killing Opera". I liked it a lot and decided to go for a large singing Diva fighting with a film strip coming out from a film reel.
As if it was a snake.
So here it is.
What is funny for the record, is that I had a really poor internet connection there, and had to run to one of my grand-mother friends' house outside of the village, late at night, wake them up, log in their old PC, and tediously send the image.



And strangely enough, it worked.
The image was printed, and sure enough published the next day.

(snap shot of the NY Times 23/08/2012, thanks to Camille Sesboüé)

The least expected event that has ever happened to me. With a happy ending.
See the article here

Comments